Monday, August 31, 2009

Challenges!!

Wow, it's looking like this coming month will have me more focused than ever on my weight loss and fitness endeavors. On Wednesday I will be joining Weight Watchers and going to my first meeting. This "Lose for Good" charity that they're doing is a great reason for me to get involved with the program. I've been working very hard on losing weight and this is an amazing way for my efforts to pay off.

The ladies at the Sisterhood are also having their own challenge. It's called shrink for good. Basically you buy an equal amount of non-perishible foods to the weight you lose every week and at the end of the challenge donate it.

That's even more incentive. Weight loss and fitness are usually such a personal thing. Something you choose to do for whatever reasons you have for yourself. Sometimes people do it for themselves and their families. Mommy/Daddy wants to be there to see their kids grow up and graduate from college and get married. They realize that thier health issues negatively affect their family life.

But to spread that even beyond the boundaries of your front door. To the people who you may never see but are needing. I mean, I find myself throwing away food simply so that I am not tempted to eat it. How unfair is that. America truly has an economy that partially centered around waste. Larger portions than anyone could/SHOULD consume are offered to us at every turn. Bulk stores where you buy containers of food huge enough that they perish in the back of your cabinet...forgotten until you have a craving and realize that it's long expired. We go to these stores and buy these portions because we're constantly told that we are SAVING! Saving WHAT??

This is a chance to in my mind save ourselves and save each other. A chance to make ourselves and those who have less power and less opportunity that we, healthier. In the same breath a chance to raise awareness about what is going on that so many people have turned a blind eye to. I, too, am guilty. I often forget that there is a world outside my immediate reality. But when an opportunity comes up to open my arms and heart to strangers I do try to do what I can.

I wish all of the people who are participating luck and thank both Weight Watchers and the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans for an opportunity to pass the love on and pay it forward.

Lastly, today is the beginning of the EA Sports Active challenge. I am finishing up day 20 of my current challenge and beginning a new challenge to do with these ladies immediately after. I have to say that this program has made the most difference in my body. I feel stronger and leaner, not just lighter, than I have in quite some time. I plan to do the 30 day challenge at least three times to see where it will take me!

Today's weight 173.6

1 comments:

Brooke said...

i'm loving the new challenge too :) what a great way to help others out.

Post a Comment